Living near New England’s wonderfully diverse coast, I strive to create paintings that reflect those stunning colors that pop up quickly, as well as the emotions that they inspire. As a child, my grandmother, also an artist, took me for beach walks where she taught me to experience and notice nature. In my studio, I am able to paint large and expressively with oils while experimenting with the emotional impact of light, color, and application of paint. In addition to photos, sketches, and writings, I also use videos in order to return to the moment in time which initially inspired me. I strive to paint the landscape as it made me feel, and not necessarily how it looked. My focus is primarily on my muse, the ocean, and its coast. I want to bring the viewer to a place in their own memory when they felt strength, relief, calm, joy, introspection or peace.
Whitney Alexanderson Heavey loves painting the natural environment around her, with a particular interest in the ocean and its coast.
Born and raised in New England, Whitney has spent her life exploring and painting its varied landscape, most especially its coastline. She received her BS in Fine Arts from Skidmore College, during which time she studied for a year in Florence, Italy at Studio Art Centers International (SACI). After teaching art and working as an art buyer for children's publishing companies, Whitney started painting full time in 2005 from her studio at ArtSpace Maynard, in Massachusetts. She has been juried into many selective shows, including one at the Cambridge Art Association, juried by Nicolas Baume, Director of the ICA, Boston. Among recent awards, she received a First Prize in oils at the All Cape Cod Art Show at the Creative Arts Center in Chatham, MA. Her work is in many private and public collections around the world.
- I'm obsessed with floating in the ocean. I consider it to be meditation. If it were an Olympic sport I might try out for the team!
- The book, Blue Mind by Wallace J Nichols, changed my life.
- I have learned to love running (very slowly), though hated it when I was younger.
- Favorite movies: Il Postino,Fly Away Home, Jaws and old Doris Day/Rock Hudson/Cary Grant movies.
- Other hobbies I enjoy: cooking, birding (new to this one) and clamming.
- My dogs make me a better person. I've been mama to three yellow labs: Nauset (biggest), Fenway (medium) and Millie (current and the smallest).
- I have a talent for finding lucky pennies (and coins) when I'm running. I keep a large jar of them on my dresser.
- I am so fortunate to share a gorgeous studio (Studio #110) at ArtSpace Maynard with the former principal of my daughters! It is my happy place (or one of them!).
- I love collecting beach glass and heart stones. Beach walks with my two daughters have been and always are my favorite.
- I like to sing and dance, but am quite challenged in both areas.
- Like so many moms, I'm really good at finding stuff.
- I actually like Necco wafers and bought a case of them when I heard they were discontinuing them...though these days try to not each much candy.
- Audiobooks have changed my life.